Thursday, June 19, 2014

At Batterymarch

















I really enjoyed painting this in spite of running into problems along
the way. I felt I had a little more clarity on how to solve them, not
that clueless, frustrated feeling that sometimes descends. I'm working
towards a two-person show for next March and wanted to settle on a
subject that I could enjoy exploring for several months. I thought that
would be landscapes and took the Workman class to get a little more
knowledge under my belt. But as I looked at the landscape painters I
admire, it was clear they lived in rural areas, were immersed in their
environment and had all their senses engaged while making their
paintings. It made sense for me to switch to a city environment which
I am surrounded by. I'm feeling it's a good fit with a lot of varied
challenges ahead.

Just a note: My previous post "Rising" looks very bad in Blogger as
had the two paintings before that. It's very contrasty with the color
tending too cool whereas the actual painting and the photo of it is quite
soft with much more subtlety. The painting above looks great in
Blogger's preview but I'm holding my breath as I click "publish." I will
let you know in the next post if it's accurate. How do I correct this? Who
do you contact for help?

4 comments:

hmuxo said...

OMGoodness Lorraine...when I zoomed on this painting you can see all the amazing details you put into it.. Wonderful work!!! and I love the colors...but my favorite is the American Flag!!!!

Carol Flatt said...

I'm delighted you changed course, Lorraine, and decided to explore the urban setting. I would think there would be a whole separate set of challenges having to do with shifting and reflected light, surface textures, composition, etc. What an exciting endeavor!

I love the way my eyes are compelled to follow that street up to the sunny intersection with the modern highrise in back. This is a marvelous piece!

Jean Townsend said...

This has lots of sparkle to it, so much deep dark and smattering of high light across the surface, it feels true to the weather of the day...so nice!

suzannepaints said...

Lorraine, hi. Your landscapes are really great. Keep up the good work. Your palette is lovely.