Sunday, August 21, 2016

The Artist
























This painting is one I managed to fit in early on in the animal-
painting marathon. I used a black and white reference photo of
the artist Francis Bacon. When I first saw his work in the late
60s, it intrigued me and also repulsed me in a way but I was drawn
to it for its intensity and originality. I've always wished I could be
that bold and push past what seems safe and acceptable. While that
wish doesn't seem to materialize, I enjoyed trying to infuse my
impressions of him onto a portrait.

Still photographing the animals and will post some at some point.
Thanks so much for viewing and for your very nice comments!

4 comments:

Carol Flatt said...

What a compelling individual and your depiction of him with brush and paint only heightens my curiosity. Your unfinished or disappearing edges add to the mystery for me. I wonder why he chose to paint what he did in the style he favored. There is a curiosity for the viewer with his works, but I don't think I could manage the intensity of viewing several of his works at one time.

hmuxo said...

So interesting Lorraine! A great portrait.....LOVE those lost edges!!!

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

Wonderful edges and brushwork, Lorraine.
The eyes particularly look alive and the different skin tones have lots of life to them.
Seeing his work up close was a meaningful experience for me. The technique held my interest.
After the wedding will we get to see the small paintings you have done? - fingers crossed!

MYSTELIOS said...

Very wonderful portrait painting , bravo Lorraine your talent in painting is gorgeous !!!